Language and Culture

• Korean Funerals: Traditions, Customs and What to Expect
  • Understand Korea / Language and Culture
  • 작성일 : 2020-02-05 17:19:02
  • Homepage : https://www.joincake.com/blog/korean-funeral/

“On the surface, traditional Korean funerals might be vastly different from any funeral you attend in the U.S. Korean funerals are rooted in Confucianism, a set of Chinese teachings that guide how a person should live his or her life. The Korean government uses these teachings to guide citizens on subjects like education, politics, and love. Korean funeral practices grew from rules for the 'right' funeral etiquette and customs. Are you attending a Korean funeral or want to learn more?”

• "Kwon Mi-hee is South Korea's traditional K-pop crossover singer. She combined 'gugak,' traditional Korean music from prehistoric times, with K-pop to introduce the unfamiliar genre all across the world. Let's go meet Kwon and learn how to sing from her!"
  • "Like many young designers, Jenia Kim wanted to make clothes that said something about where she came from. Only in her case that story was rather complicated. Kim is one of an estimated half-million ethnic Koreans in the former Soviet Union who compose the diaspora known as the Koryo-saram."
  • "We’re going to show you how to make a Korean name for yourself. There are lots of ways to do this, and we’re going to tell you all about South Korean names. Take a look at the 6 methods below, and choose the one that you like best!"
  • "There is perhaps no sound quite so unmistakable -- or subtle -- as that of an ink-covered calligraphy brush pressing against a sheet of traditional Korean Hanji mulberry paper. Even in today’s ever-noisy, ever-bustling Korea, the sound is a familiar voice of calm, and one that instantly connects the modern world to the ancient past." Read more from Korea.net.
  • 'There were times when social class distinction was very clear. Even music differed for people in different social classes. The music played for the royals and nobility was called “jeongga(정가),” meaning the right music, while the music enjoyed by ordinary folks was lumped together as simply “folk music.” Even songs were divided into two categories – “norae(노래)” for the ruling class, which was usually poems set to melodies..
  • "Built centuries ago during the Chosun dynasty, these single-storey houses made of wood and stone, are making a much anticpated comeback. Our Kim Jung-soo went out to check out this a unique blend of tradition and modernity. Korea's traditional houses, or hanok, have long been known for their grace and natural beauty, but modern-day Koreans often see them more as tourist attractions than as places to live."
  • 'Hanja (한자) are Chinese characters that Korean originally used to write its language. But due to the creation and popularization of Hangul (한글) it is no longer necessary to memorize how to read it or write it. However, does that mean Hanja is useless for learning Korean? I’ll give my personal opinions on the topic, as well as share the opinions of some native Koreans. The question that I asked Koreans living in Seoul is this: “한자..
  • "We hit the streets of Seoul, South Korea to find out if Korean people can speak in pure Korean without using any English loanwords. The opinions expressed in this video are those of individual interviewees alone and do not reflect the views of ASIAN BOSS or the general Korean population." Watch the video by ASIAN BOSS.
  • “On the surface, traditional Korean funerals might be vastly different from any funeral you attend in the U.S. Korean funerals are rooted in Confucianism, a set of Chinese teachings that guide how a person should live his or her life. The Korean government uses these teachings to guide citizens on subjects like education, politics, and love. Korean funeral practices grew from rules for the 'right' funeral etiquette and customs. Are ..
  • "Celebrating the first birthday of a child is a joyous occasion in any culture. In Korean culture there are ceremonies that will tell the future and more! When it came time for us to celebrate we had to decide which parts of each of our cultures, American and Korean, we wanted to bring together for the big day."
  • "With so many celebrities tying the knot these days, you might be wondering what wedding customs are like in Korea. We’ve noticed some questions in the comments section – for sure, Korean weddings can be confusing for those not in the know. Let’s take this time to talk about how they’re typically done!"
  • “Traditionally, on the day of Jeongwol Daeboreum, or the first full moon of the year, which falls on Feb. 8 this year, organizations like national museums, traditional institutions or city governments set up a large daljip, or 'moon house,' at certain locations and set it on fire to ward off any bad luck that may come in the new year. However, as the country is working to prevent the further spread of the coronavirus, organizers tha..
  • "Seollal is a cultural holiday rooted in traditional Chinese Confucianism, which is celebrated on the first day of the Korean lunar calendar. It usually lasts three days, including the day before and the day after the set date." Read more from 10 Magazine.
  • "In South Korea, it isn’t easy being a Bing, says Who. In a country where more than half the people are either a Kim, Lee, Park or Choi and where two-thirds of the population share just 10 surnames, having a rare- name such as Bing or Who can be inconvenient at the least and a downright hassle when no one believes that is your real name. Having an unusual name in South Korea can mean a lifetime of misunderstanding."
  • "Let’s study Korean with Jemma Lee!"
  • "I have created a channel for people who want to learn Korean language. I truly believe the way I teach Korean is really effective as I have taught many students and helped them improve their skills from zero knowledge to free conversational level with natives. I am hoping to help as many people in the world as possible with learning my native language and the culture."
  • 'Hello. This is Teacher Kim's Korean Class. I am going to upload the video lessons twice a week Tuesday and Friday. Now I am doing Korean Alphabet curriculum for absolutely beginners. And I am planing to teach "Korean Grammar", "Vocabulary", "Korean Culture", "Useful expression", "Listening", "Preparing Topik  Test"  as well.'
  • "I teach Korean."
  • "Learn Korean from Songwon who is the author of the book Korean Grammar for Speaking 1, and 2. This groundbreaking course will familiarize you with the most common patterns in Korean so you can quickly and easily progress at an amazing pace."
  • "I teach Korean at the language institution belongs to university in Seoul. Wanna help ppl who want to learn Korean!

so there are two types of lectures in my channel.

basic korean: teach from korean alphabet to basic grammar
    real korean class: explain the difference between two or more grammatical forms which have similar meanings and functions!"

Contact Us

Please contact us if the information provided in About Korea differs from the actual information.

• ph@doheintl.com
  • (63 32) 239-1316 / (63 32) 328-7215
  • Unit 9, The Regency Crest, Maria Luisa Rd., Banilad, Cebu City 6000 Philippines